|Development of the International Life Sciences Institute Crop Composition Database
|Journal Article 2004
Task Force #7
In May 2003, the International Life Sciences Institute released an online comprehensive Crop Composition Database that provides up-to-date information on the natural variability in composition of conventional crops. The database is a compilation of data on the nutrients, anti-nutrients, and secondary metabolites for maize and soybean samples obtained from controlled field trials, in multiple world-wide locations over a 6-year period. The analyses of the samples were conducted using validated analytical methods with reference citations and, in most cases, under the guidelines of Environmental Protection Agency Good Laboratory Practices. Version 1.0 of the database contains more than 53,000 data points that may be searched and accessed based upon user-selected queries. The database complements existing food and nutrient databases and should be of interest to research and regulatory scientists in many areas such as plant biology, food science, and animal nutrition.
Ridley, W.P., Essner, R., Kramer, C., Phillips, A., Shillito, R.D., Reed, A., Hard, D., Dussold, P., and Kurtyka, L. Development of the International Life Sciences Institute Crop Composition Database. J. Food Comp. Anal., 17 (2004):423-438
IFBiC Crop Composition Database www.cropcomposition.org
- Burlingame, B., 1996. Development of food composition database management systems: the New Zealand experience. Food Chemistry 57, 127–131. LINK
- Ensminger, M.E., Oldfield, J.E., Heinemann, W.W., 1990. Feeds and Nutrition 2nd Edition. The Ensminger Publishing Company, Clovis, CA.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 1996. Biotechnology and food safety. Report of a joint FAO/WHO consultation. In: Food and Nutrition Paper 61, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy. LINK
- Holden, J.M., Bhagwat, S.A., Patterson, K.Y., 2002. Development of a multi-nutrient data quality evaluation system. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 15, 339–348. LINK
- Jugenheimer, R.W., 1976. Corn: Improvements, Seed Production and Uses. Wiley, New York.
- Martineau, B., 2001. First Fruit: The Creation of the Flavr Savr Tomato and the Birth of Biotech Food. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY. LINK
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), 1993. Safety Evaluation of Foods Produced by Modern Biotechnology: Concept and Principles. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Paris, France. LINK
- Organization of European Cooperation and Development (OECD), 2001. Consensus Document on Compositional Considerations for New Varieties of Soybean: Key Food and Feed Nutrients and Anti-Nutrients. Organization of European Cooperation and Development, Series on the Safety of Novel Foods and Feeds, No. 2, Paris, France. LINK
- Organization of European Cooperation and Development (OECD), 2002. Consensus Document on Compositional Considerations for New Varieties of Maize (Zea mays): Key Food and Feed Nutrients, Anti-Nutrients and Secondary Plant Metabolites. Organization of European Cooperation and Development, Series on the Safety of Novel Foods and Feeds, No. 6, Paris, France. LINK
- Ridley, W.P., 2004. Introduction to agricultural biotechnology: challenges and prospects. In: Bhalgat, M.K., Ridley, W.P., Felsot, A.S., Seiber, J.N. (Eds.), Agricultural Biotechnology: Challenges and Prospects ACS Symposium Series 866. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, pp. 3–18 (Chapter 1). LINK
- Schlotke, F., Becker, W., Ireland, J., Moller, A., Ovaskainen, M.-L., Monspart, J., Unwin, I., 2000. EUROFOODS recommendations for food composition database management and data interchange. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 13, 709–744. LINK
- Southgate, D.A.T., 2002. Data quality in sampling, analysis and compilation. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 15, 507–513. LINK
- United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, 1999. USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 13. Retrieved July 7, 2003 from the Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page on the World Wide Web. LINK
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, 1989. Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA): Good Laboratory Practice Standards, 40 CFR Part 160. Federal Register, Vol. 54, August 17, pp. 34052–34074. LINK
- Watson, S.A., 1982. Corn: amazing maize. General properties. In: Wolff, I.A. (Ed.), CRC Handbook of Processing and Utilization in Agriculture Plant Products, Vol. II (Part 1). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. LINK
- World Health Organization, 1995. Application of the principles of substantial equivalence to the safety evaluation of foods and food components from plants derived by modern biotechnology. In: Report of WHO Workshop WHO/FNU/FOS/95.1, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. LINK