|Cumulative and Aggregate Risk Evaluation System
CARES® is a state-of-the-art software program designed to conduct complex exposure and risk assessments for pesticides, such as the assessments required under the 1996 Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA). CARES was originally developed under the auspices of CropLife America (CLA), which conceived the project, provided funding, and oversaw the program’s evolution. Scientific and technical contributions to the program’s development came from a broad team of experts, including scientists from CLA’s member companies and staff, consulting companies, and the US Environmental Protection Agency and US Department of Agriculture. With its transfer to the ILSI Research Foundation, the CARES program and source code will continue to be publicly available at no charge. Also, the full range of stakeholders will be invited to contribute to the technical and scientific advancement of CARES.
Evaluation Version 4.0 is available for testing.
A new evaluation version is available for testing: CARES Evaluation Version 4.0 Build 1.1.12 Date 30 July 2010. This is an evaluation version which has not been completely tested and should not be used for regulatory purposes. The CARES Stakeholder Technical Team is interested in any feedback or comments you may have on this evaluation version. Please e-mail these to Bruce Young at email@example.com.
This evaluation version includes the following additions/enhancements and revisions:
- New Dietary Wizard with larger display window.
- New Matching rules for assigning residues to consumption.
- Revised FCT and MF1 tool for factors tab.
- Ability to rewrite Dietary Wizard file to same filename.
- Revised Dietary Wizard report.
- Report module included with each run.
- Water Minute Module using Bayer Drinking Water Consumption Survey or Equally spaced fixed events.
- Revised within day tool for calculating percentile base on all events or maximum exposure event in a day.
- PDP Tool with PDP Data from 1994 to 2008.
- Cumulative capability for dietary food, water, and residential.
Production Version 3.0
The most recently released production version of CARES is Production Version 3.0 Build 1.3.4 Build date 2 June 2008.
This is a production version which modifies and updates/enhances the version previously available on the ILSI website; all of the enhancements and revisions contained in this production version of the software have not been completely tested and validated. If you discover an error or bug, please complete the feedback form and email to Karl Schnelle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CARES User Guide for Version 3
CARES Documentation for User Guide Version 3 from the January 2009 Training Session
CARES Feedback Form (Word document)
Earlier Releases of CARES
Documentation and Training Materials
CARES Production Version 3.0 Build 1.3.4 Build date 2 June 2008 Download (Zip file)*
*By downloading the CARES software program, you are agreeing to the terms of the license shown below.
Authorization to use, copy, or distribute the CARES software program for internal, personal, or noncommercial use is granted by ILSI Research Foundation, in accordance with the terms of the license below.
THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.
BY EXERCISING ANY RIGHTS TO THE WORK PROVIDED HERE, YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. THE LICENSOR GRANTS YOU THE RIGHTS CONTAINED HERE IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- "Collective Work" means a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology or encyclopedia, in which the Work in its entirety in unmodified form, along with a number of other contributions, constituting separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole. A work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work (as defined below) for the purposes of this License.
- "Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as an abridgment, modified version, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License.
- "Licensor" means the ILSI Research Foundation, which offers the Work under the terms of this License.
- "Original Author" means Infoscientific.com, Inc., which is the entity that created the Work.
- "Work" means the CARES® software program, which is the copyrightable work of authorship offered under the terms of this License.
- "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License who has not previously violated the terms of this License with respect to the Work, or who has received express permission from the Licensor to exercise rights under this License despite a previous violation.
- Fair Use Rights. Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws.
- License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:
- to reproduce the Work, to incorporate the Work into one or more Collective Works, and to reproduce the Work as incorporated in the Collective Works;
- to create and reproduce Derivative Works;
- to distribute copies of the Work on an occasional, nonsystematic basis including as incorporated in Collective Works;
- to distribute copies of Derivative Works;
The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter devised.
The above rights include the right to make such modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights in other media and formats. All rights not expressly granted by Licensor are hereby reserved.
- Restrictions. The license granted in Section 3 above is expressly made subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
- You may distribute the Work only under the terms of this License, and You must include a copy of this License with every copy of the Work You distribute. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder. You may not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License. If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any reference to such Licensor or the Original Author, as requested. If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative Work any reference to such Licensor or the Original Author, as requested.
- You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. The exchange of the Work for other copyrighted works by means of digital file-sharing or otherwise shall not be considered to be intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation, provided there is no payment of any monetary compensation in connection with the exchange of copyrighted works.
- If you distribute the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and give the Licensor credit reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing by conveying the name of the Licensor (ILSI Research Foundation); the title of the Work (CARES®); and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "New software program based on CARES® of the ILSI Research Foundation"). Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.
- You may not distribute the Work on a bulk or systematic basis, such as by posting on a publicly accessible website.
- Representations, Warranties and Disclaimer
UNLESS OTHERWISE MUTUALLY AGREED TO BY THE PARTIES IN WRITING,
LICENSOR OFFERS THE WORK AS-IS AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE WORK, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS, ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OF ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SUCH EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- Limitation on Liability. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
- This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License. Individuals or entities who have received Derivative Works or Collective Works from You under this License, however, will not have their licenses terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full compliance with those licenses. Sections 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will survive any termination of this License.
- Subject to the above terms and conditions, the license granted here is perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the Work). Notwithstanding the above, Licensor reserves the right to release the Work under different license terms or to stop distributing the Work at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the terms of this License), and this License will continue in full force and effect unless terminated as stated above.
- Each time You distribute the Work or a Collective Work, the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- Each time You distribute a Derivative Work, Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the original Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further action by the parties to this agreement, such provision shall be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable.
- No term or provision of this License shall be deemed waived and no breach consented to unless such waiver or consent shall be in writing and signed by the party to be charged with such waiver or consent.
- This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written agreement of the Licensor and You.