Nutrient declarations, as well as nutrition and health claims are simple messages on the nutritional quality and health benefits of a product listed on a food label. However, the wide disparity between the label format and claims that are permitted internationally and regionally cause confusion among consumers and are also barriers to trade for food manufacturers. Standardization of the nutrition labeling format as well as the evaluation process and scientific substantiation of nutrient and health claims in the region will help reduce trade barriers to the commercial distribution of foods and beverages in the ASEAN.
From 2001 to 2008, ILSI SEA Region facilitated a series of seminars and workshops for regulators, researchers and scientists, and relevant food industry personnel from the region to discuss issues on nutrition labeling and claims to identify areas of similarities and differences, as well as to explore the opportunities for harmonization. At the 5th Workshop held in 2008, the participants discussed the use of nutrient profiling as the basis for regulating nutrition labels, health claims, and marketing and advertising to vulnerable groups such as children. It was recognized that the development process of nutrient profiles models should be science driven. In addition, ILSI SEA region has also facilitated 3 Workshops on Functional Foods where the Guidelines for Scientific Substantiation of Nutrition and Health Claims, Guidelines for Safety Evaluation of Functional Foods, and Regulatory Framework for Nutrition Labeling and Claims were developed. The Guidelines and the framework were to be used as reference for national regulatory authorities when setting up a framework for nutrition claims and related matters.
To follow up on recommendation from the 5th Workshop, to update on the nutrition labeling and claims regulatory status in the region as well as to discuss the communication challenges using nutrition labels, ILSI SEA Region is holding the 6th Seminar and Workshop on Nutrition Labeling, Claims and Communication Strategies for the Consumers. The workshop on the 2nd day is a closed door event for invited regulators.
Date and Time:
Seminar: September 20, 2010
Workshop (close door): September 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
ILSI SEA Region / Malaysia Country Committee
- To provide an update on international and regional developments in nutrition labeling, nutrition and health claims and related issues, including Codex, SEA Region, USA, Europe and Australia/New Zealand
- To identify opportunities and challenges related to the utilization of nutrient profiling in nutrition and health claims
- To address the use of Front-of-Pack Sign Posting scheme in the region
- To discuss the communication challenges using nutrition labels
Workshop Objectives (close-door event for invited regulators):
- To review the use of the guidelines for scientific substantiation and regulatory framework for nutrition and health claims
- To discuss and share experiences in the use of nutrient profiling and FOP labeling in regulations in the region
- To discuss the development of regulatory process for evaluating novel ingredients
Please click the link below for
seminar details and registration information
To register, please download the registration form here and submit the completed form by September 15, 2010.
For inquiries, please contact:
ILSI Southeast Asia Region
9 Mohamed Sultan Road #02-01
Tel: (65) 63525220
Fax: (65) 63525536